Numerical analysis of butterfly’s flight
- How to describe wing-wing interaction through vortices?
- How to control flight using vorticies?
- Bifurcation analysis of flapping flight including symmetry-breaking of symmetric flapping model
- M. Iima, N. Yokoyama and K. Senda, “Active lift inversion process of heaving wing in uniform flow by temporal change of wing kinematics”, Physical Review E, 99 (2019) 043110.
- N. Yokoyama, K. Senda, M. Iima and N. Hirai, “Aerodynamic forces and vortical structures in flapping butterfly’s forward flight”, Phys. Fluids, 25 (2013) 021902.
- M. Iima and T. Yanagita, ”Is a 2D Butterfly Able to Fly by Symmetric Flapping?”, J. Phys. Soc. Jpn., 70 (2001) 5–8.
How do they swim in low Reynolds number flow?
- Low Reynolds number swimmers from molecules to microorganisms
- Swimming models and statistical properties
- T. Yamada and M. Iima, “Hydrodynamic turning mechanism of microoganism by solitary loop propagation on a single flagellum,” J. Phys. Soc. Jpn. 88 (2019) 114401.
- T. Ogawa, S. Izumi and M. Iima, “Statistics and stochastic models of an individual motion of photosensitive alga Euglena gracilis,“ J. Phys. Soc. Jpn. 86 (2017) 074401.
- M. Iima and A. S. Mikhailov,”Propulsion hydrodynamics of a butterfly micro-swimmer”, Europhys. Lett., 85 (2009) 44001.
Transport dynamics in amoeba, microorganisms and plants
- M. Iima, H. Kori and T. Nakagaki, “Studies of the phase gradient at the boundary of the phase diffusion equation, motivated by peculiar wave patterns of rhythmic contraction in the amoeboid movement of Physarum polycephalum,” Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics.50 (2017) 154004.
- A. Satake, M. Seki, M. Iima, T. Teramoto and Y. Nishiura, “Florigen distribution determined by a source-sink balance explains the diversity of inflorescence structures in Arabidopsis,” Journal of Theoretical Biology, 395 (2016) 227–237.
- T. Nakagaki, M. Iima, T. Ueda, Y. Nishiura, T. Saigusa, A. Tero, R. Kobayashi and K. Showalter, “Minimum-risk path finding by an adaptive amoebal network,” Physical Review Letters, 99 (2007) 068104.
Analytical theory of flapping flight using vortex
- Force formula of flapping flight using vortex
- Singularity of hovering flight in two-dimensional space
- M. Iima, ”A paradox of hovering insect in two-dimensional space”, J. Fluid Mech., 617 (2008) 207–229.